Are you interested to learn how to play guitar? If yes, there are a few things you should know before you start. To begin with, it’s important to know what kind of music you want to learn: Classical music, Rock, Jazz, Folk, etc. That will determine your next steps: Which guitar teacher you will need? Will you choose to study online or face-to-face? What kind of guitar you will need? What gear? and so on. In this article, you will find some tips on how to play guitar, and what you will need to start.
How to Find a Good Guitar Teacher
The most important is to be aware of what kind of music you want to learn. Once you know that, it will be much easy to find an appropriate teacher or instructor. Keep in mind that every teacher specializes in a certain style of music. It may appear to you that someone is so good in all styles and genres but the reality is different.
Think of it as if you are looking for medical help, because let’s say you have pain in your knee. It is obvious that you will need an orthopedist. You won’t just walk into the office of any doctor simply because they are a doctor. Instead, you will be searching for the right specialist. A specialist, who is educated and experienced in your particular medical problem. Of course, any doctor can give you advice and can help, but the best and the right thing is to pick a specialized help.
The same is with your potential guitar teacher. For example, if you want to learn how to play the blues you need a jazz guitar teacher. If you like and you want to learn Rock music, you will need a guitar teacher that is specialized in rock music, etc. read in more detail here about how to find your guitar teacher.
How to Choose the Right Guitar
There are many different types of guitars available on the market, so it’s important to do your research and figure out which one is appropriate for the music you want to learn.
For example, if you like to learn folk music, an acoustic guitar will be the best choice. If you want to play rock, jazz, metal, etc. you have to get an electric guitar, and an amplifier as well. If you wish to educate yourself in classical music then you will need a Classical Guitar.
The best way to make sure you have got the right guitar is to consult with your guitar teacher. Consult with them preferably prior to purchasing a guitar. So the advice here is first to find the right teacher, they will guide you on what guitar you will need, where to buy it, how much to spend, what books, other educational materials, etc.
How to Practice your guitar Regularly and Efficiently?
The guitar is a great instrument to play, but it can be tough. You might feel like practicing every day and getting nowhere fast or maybe you’re tired of going through the motions with your lessons only to find out that they didn’t really teach anything new in class… The truth about guitar playing (or any instrument) for those who have been to this game before: practice makes perfect!
To learn how to play guitar efficiently
there are three steps that you can take
- The first step is to make time for your hobbies. It’s not always easy, but if you’re serious about learning an instrument then this should be a top priority!
- The next tip would involve setting realistic goals so as not to get discouraged when trying out new things. Do not learn a complex technique in one sitting. Maybe break it into small chunks over several days instead of taking on too much all at once (this also helps with motivation).
- And finally: keep going, no matter what happens, even if takes years until success!! This is about consistency.
If you want to learn more about how to practice your guitar regularly and efficiently- read this article.
How to Have Fun While Learning How to Play Guitar?
Most of the time that you will spend, or you are spending with your guitar is practicing. Just a little tiny fraction of that is performing, recording, etc. So, it is very important to make sure that your time with the instrument is enjoyable and fun. That is not always easy. One of the most important things is Motivation. You can cultivate and nurture your motivation, there are ways to do that. It is important to understand that to progress, you need to keep a certain level of motivation to learn, and enjoy the journey. Here are several tips:
- Set small achievable goals for yourself. For example, if you are a beginner, it will be a good idea to start with Easy songs or pieces, regardless of what kind of guitar you play.
Download for free 10 Easy Songs For Beginners On Classical Guitar
- Another way to have fun while learning how to play guitar is by playing with other people, in Guitar Ensembles and Duets. This can be a great way to improve your skills and also make the learning process more enjoyable. Playing with other people can also help you learn new techniques and tips that you might not have thought of on your own.
- Another way to make the learning process more fun is by listening to music that you enjoy. This can help motivate you to practice and also help you stay interested in the guitar. If you find yourself getting bored with the music you are playing,
- Try listening to different genres of music or even watching guitar instructional videos. These can all help keep you motivated and interested in learning how to play guitar.
Motivate yourself to practice guitar
If you are struggling with your motivation and enthusiasm you may check my online course: Motivate yourself to practice guitar in it you will learn To motivate yourself and bring back your enthusiasm to practice guitar, how to establish your practice routine, how to organize your time, how to prepare for a performance or a concert and not only…The course is a result of my three decades of experience teaching guitar.
So, these are some ideas on how to make the learning process more enjoyable. If you are having fun while you are learning then you are more likely to stick with it and become a great guitar player.
I hope you enjoyed reading this article, and I wish you the best of luck in your guitar-playing journey!